This website contains updated information only for those corridors actively in construction, the Southeast Rail Extension and North Metro Rail. All other content on this website is meant for historical purposes only and may not be up-to-date. Please visit RTD-Denver.com for the latest information about RTD.
Purpose and Need
The Purpose and Need statement established the benchmark from which
all Gold Line alternatives were evaluated during the Environmental
Impact Statement process. The Gold Line team finalized the Purpose and
Need statement in September 2006. The "purpose" is essentially the
reason for the project. The "need" statements present the current and
projected conditions that the project must address.
The Gold Line Purpose and Need statement is as follows:
To implement fixed guide-way transit on the Gold Line between Denver Union Station and Ward Road.
- Need for mobility improvements (improved travel time, travel options, and regional inter-connectivity).
- Need to serve both traditional transit users and new users.
- Need to provide environmental benefits to the study area and the region.
- Need to be cost-effective and ability to be financed within the FasTracks program.
- Need to meet the voter mandate of the FasTracks program.