This website contains updated information only for those corridors actively in construction, the Southeast Rail Extension and North Metro Rail. All other content on this website is meant for historical purposes only and may not be up-to-date. Please visit RTD-Denver.com for the latest information about RTD.
17th St. gardens have 'green' features for bus facility
There are eight skylights built into Denver Union Station's 17th Street Gardens. They have an important job which is to light up the inside of the new underground bus facility.
As part of RTD's commitment to sustainability, these skylights will reduce the amount of electrical output needed to light up the bus facility.
Skylights in 17th St. Gardens for underground bus facility at Denver Union Station
New bus center to get environmental certification
DUS will be one of the few transit projects in the Unites States with LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver Certification. Here are some of the requirements that have to be met in order to achieve the certification:
- Water usage reduced by 30 percent by utilizing low flow restroom facilities
- Constructed skylights to reduce energy costs and provide natural lighting
- 10 percent of all building materials used have come from within 500 miles of Denver Union Station.
- 20 percent of all building materials come from recycled content.
- A minimum of 75 percent of all construction/demolition debris will be recycled or salvaged.